Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Core Beliefs

The “Flashcard Healing” tool can be used for challenging Core beliefs. There is also a technique called the “Downward Arrow Technique.” A core belief can be questioned in the following way:

Negative Automatic Thought.....
Analyze the thought in the following way.

Supposing that was true, what would that mean to me or say about me?


Supposing that was true, what would that mean to me or say about me?


Supposing that was true, what would that mean to me or say about me?

The aim is to help the client arrive at a negative absolute statement about them in the form of “I am………..”

Once such a thought is identified we can challenge the evidence and truth of such statements. They are often deeply felt meanings, which are held with a lot of emotion. Identifying them alone can be very emotional. Some statements however are irrational and can be challenged in order to bring the client to a more realistic and healthy view of themselves and their situations

No comments: